Currently most of our team resides on the East-side of Nagoya, a city of 9 million people (roughly the size of Chicago) in a rapidly growing area known as Nisshin City. Our team has expanded, however, to a few church plants throughout the city as we partner with Japanese nationals in the Japanese Presbyterian Church.
A Very Brief History of the Nagoya Team:
The Nagoya Team was started in 1987 when the Japan Presbyterian Church helped lead the Nagoya team to its present location in an urban area on the east side of Nagoya. Two church plants were started within a few years under the leadership of MTW missionary, Bruce Young. In 1995, MTW missionary Wayne Newsome became the team leader, and since that time two more church plants and an international school have been started.
In May 2008 the Nagoya team divided into two separate teams. The teams now are divided into the Church-Planting team, led by Wayne Newsome, and the Theological Education team, led by Michael Oh.
Overview of Current Ministries in Nagoya:
- Two church plants with team involvement in five area churches (Four of the five churches are led by nationals)
- Various evangelistic ministries including small group Bible studies, English classes, Mom and Kid’s club, cooking classes and ministry to college students
- Short-term mission trips
- Seminary for training and equipping national leaders led by the Nagoya Theological Training Team
- College Ministry started in 2012 and currently led by Kaji Uechi and Jake Gee
- Kids Brown English Program started in 2012 and primarily taught by Anna Claire Gee
Current Missionaries on the Nagoya, Japan Church-Planting Team:
- Peter and Diane Bakelaar
- Jane Brinkerhoff
- Darlene Johnson
- Wayne and Amy Newsome
- Tom and Teresa Wilson
- Linda Wixon
- Jeremy & Gina Sink
- Michael & Cathlain Carter
- Jake & Anna Claire Gee